Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What to Do with Leftover Ketchup Packets, etc.

When I was on my third trimester of pregnancy, laziness and exhaustion ended up in food delivery and takeouts too many.  Grubhub was my best friend as it was so convenient - Chinese, American, Thai, Italian, Mediterranean, Vietnamese - name it, we ordered it!  And along with the food were too many condiments - ketchup, soy sauce, mustard, salt, pepper, etc.  Excessive really.  I never threw them away, knowing that one day I might use them, but it took me a few months to finally do so!  We had a good stash I kept in a plastic container - just see below!  Last weekend, I thought I'd make my own barbecue sauce out of these little packets of goodness.

Barbecue Sauce Ingredients for 5 Chicken Thighs:

- 12 packets of ketchup (any kind)
- 2 packets of soy sauce (usually from Chinese/Thai restaurants)
- 1 packet of hot mustard (Chinese)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (or 1 packet of hot sauce)
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp vinegar (I used cider)
- Salt and Pepper to taste


Steps:

1. Combine all ingredients until barbecue sauce consistency.
2. Marinate 5 chicken thighs with the sauce for at least one hour.
3. Bake in 400 F oven for 45 mins to an hour.  Brush with sauce every 15 to 20 mins.
4. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.  Also good with chimichuri, but good as is.


I did this also with baby back ribs - unfortunately, I was only able to take a picture when there was only 1 rib left!  Husband loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment