Friday, February 1, 2013

Yolk

With my 33-week pregnant belly hanging around, and superrrrrr cold weather upon us, exploring new brunch places has become so sparse (as sparse as my blogging in the last few months) that red velvet french toast is actually old news!  Well, it doesn't matter, as Yolk made me a big fan of it, and I might end up ordering more sweet than savory brunch dishes moving forward!  

Yolk is actually a chain of restaurants all over Chicago, and for some reason, I just tried it after more than two years in this city.  It started on Christmas Eve when my sister visited, and I was too lazy and tired (in the morning, I know) to whip up some good comfort-food-ish breakfast.  I've been hearing great reviews about Yolk and surprisingly they were open on Christmas Eve, and best of all -- no lines! Interior was simple, nothing earth-shattering - just bright and spacious and colorful.  The menu was interesting and had so many choices, but nothing too overwhelming.  

I had the popular french toast and I was more than pleased - so this is what the fuss is all about!  Didn't need no syrup.  Didn't need no whipped cream.  Didn't need no nothing!  It was good by itself.  My sister had some Italian omelette and boy it was magnifico - it's like pasta sauce with loads of meat wrapped in eggs!  Hubby had a skillet which had the best Andouille sausage I've ever tasted.  If I were to describe their food in 2 words - fresh and tasty.

We left the place with big smiles on our faces... we thought, we're definitely coming back.

Christmas Eve Brunch with my sister, Apple

The Big Easy Skillet & When In Rome Omelette

Red Velvet Cheesecake

Our second time at Yolk... the place still didn't fail our expectations.  My skillet had very tender steak bites that it seemed rare (which is not good for me), but it was actually well done.  Hubby had a trio of french toasts - banana nut, sweet orange, and lemon poppy seed, all topped with super fresh fruits.

Steak Skillet & Tour de France French Toast

My brunch buddy, hubby

2 comments:

  1. I think Yolk was one of the places on my list too when we went to Chicago the last time! But we never made it. Glad it didn't disappoint!

    That trio of "banana nut, sweet orange, and lemon poppy seed" sounds perfect for my indecisive, I-want-a-little-bit-of-everything brain.

    33 weeks!!! Wow, Dianne! Almost there... all the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mia! Please do come over in Chicago... See Madison. :-) I'll be delivering sometime 3rd week of March, but I'm ready to pop by the 4th of March! :-)

    ReplyDelete