Friday, April 6, 2012

DIY: Gold Bib Necklace

I am in love with accessories. I feel naked without it!  My friends and I even had a costume jewelry business a few years ago because we had (and still have) so much passion for it, we wanted to make them everyday!  There were days when we probably just had 2 hours of sleep then still we had to go to the office for our "day job"... There's a different kind of high when we conceptualize and execute our designs and they come out more amazing -- and even better, when people let out their oohs and aahs (sometimes exaggerated) and buy them!  Oh, just thinking about those days make me smile and feel excited. :-)

Last night, while browsing the internet, a stumbled upon a DIY website which featured Spring's trend - the neon necklace.  It got me really inspired and got my creative juices flowing... who ever thought that spray paint could turn any old necklace into something totally new and fab?  I didn't have neon spray paint, so instead of the trendy neon necklace, I made something more elegant and nautical (what?!).  You read that right.  You can wear this at the office or at the beach!

Materials:

An overused-time-for-a-makeover braided ethnic (seed bead) necklace


A brooch (I got this from Michael's for $2.99; you can also use vintage ones) and gold spray paint


Procedure:

Just two steps actually... 1. Spray the necklace with gold paint on both sides (dry for about 2 hours on each side).


2. When the necklace is completely dry, attach your brooch - I prefer to have it on the side, rather than in the middle.


And there you have it - love, love, love how it turned out.


15 comments:

  1. You are so creative:) love your necklace too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beatiiful . You are so creative. Love it too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I love this. The starfish adds a nice quirky touch! Did you also spray paint the brooch? It looks dark in the first photo and then gold in the final one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't spray on it... baka sa lighting lang hehe! Thanks Chris!

      Delete
    2. Was wondering kasi how the brooch turned gold but still retained those blue dots. Haha, skill kung ganun! :P

      Delete
  4. I loooove it! You are the accessory queen talaga ;-)

    Spanish Pinay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lhot. Wala kasing Welmanson dito, so di pa kaya mag-todo gawa... puro recycling na muna. :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow Dianne! It looks great! The brooch is a nice touch. Though I'd like to, I feel like I could never pull off chunky accessories since I'm so short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mia! I think it will look good on you still though!

      Delete
  6. Love love love it! You know how much I love chunky pieces. The chunkier the better kahit it means stiff neck for me! Hahaha. Thanks for dedicating this post to me. Hay. I miss those days when i have a design in mind and I can't wait to get home so i can execute it even if it meant having to stay up late. You wouldn't feel tired really if you're doing something you love. Hay! Tara! Let's resurrect If and feel fabulous again! But I'm happy mare for you and you're designing again. Ako I tried ulit Pero nagmukhang paa yun ginawa ko necklace. Hahaha. My most uninspired piece to date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love.. only you can make a hirit like that hahaha! Dadating na ko soon, we'll resurrect IF! Happy Easter! (no pun intended)

      Delete
  7. Hang gondooo! I used to make beads before but I stopped when I gave birth. Haven't found the mojo back but upon looking at your creation, parang gusto kong gumawa ulit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em!!! I make beaded accessories and bibs to de-stress! Gawa ka uli... share with me your creations. :-)

      Delete
  8. Nice post mate, keep up the great work, just shared this with my friendz
    gold necklace

    ReplyDelete