Monday, June 25, 2012

Malunggay, Miswa, & Pompano

I realize, every time I attempt to make healthy meals, it's nowhere close to Filipino cuisine.  Well, that's because I couldn't really think of a single healthy pinoy dish!  Even our veggie dishes are sinful - pinakbet (hello chicharon and bagoong) and laing (hello coconut milk)!  

Last weekend, we went to our favorite market, Fresh Farms, and what do you know, they have malunggay!  Ahhh... childhood memories - I remembered how our "Ate Carmi" would cook tinolang manok or munggo with malunggay.  I never disliked this vegetable even as a young kid, and I guess that's because it doesn't have that distinct unlikeable veggie taste.  And now I realize how much of a miracle vegetable it is with all its countless vitamins and nutrients and health benefits.  I thought, I could definitely use this...

As I worked from home today, I thought of bringing on more of the nostalgia by cooking malunggay with misua!  Usually, misua is cooked with patola and liver (at least in our family), but I did it differently and cooked with shrimps, carrots, and of course, malunggay.  I had this for lunch and hubby had it for dinner, I'm happy he loved it.  For dinner, I had my usual salad with vinaigrette, but added fried pompano flakes, which gave that extra "linamnam" kick.  

Misua na may Malunggay & Hipon
Ingredients:
1 Pack of Misua Noodles, Couple Bunches Malunggay Leaves, 1/2 Cup Diced Carrots, 1 Small Onion Diced, 3 Cloves Garlic, 1 Cup Beef Broth, 1 Cup Chicken Broth, 3 Cups Water, Salt & Pepper, Patis

Steps:
Saute Onions, Garlic, and Carrots.  Add the shrimps and cook until slightly orange.  Add the broth and water and bring to a boil.  Drop the misua and simmer for 5 minutes.  Sprinkle the malunggay leaves.  Season with salt, pepper, and patis.  Serves 4.

Calories: 185 Calories from Fat: 23

Lechugas at Pipino na may Hinimay na Pompano
Ingredients:
Salad Mix (Lettuce & Spinach), Baby Cucumbers, Diced Onions, Fried Pompano Flakes
Dressing: Rice Wine Vinegar, Lime Juice, Olive Oil, Honey, Salt, and Pepper

Steps:
Toss everything together!

Calories: 250 Calories from Fat: 90

4 comments:

  1. Really kagutom namam. My mother has malungay tree in laguna, and I love it when she cooked ginatang malungay with tinapa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I was really surprised to see them here!

      Delete
  2. swerte naman may malunggay! uhm, what is pompano? :-D

    Spanish Pinay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lhot - pompano I think is "pampano" in pinas. Medyo flat and wide siya, with super linamnam taste!

      Delete